NACUBO’s Commitment to Sustainability
In support of NACUBO's leadership on sustainability efforts, the 2020 annual meeting in Washington DC/National Harbor incorporates the following initiatives to promote environmentally conscious policies focused on resource conservation and sustainable business practices.
Once again, the NACUBO Annual Meeting is fighting global warming with high-quality carbon offsets in partnership with our preferred provider, Native Energy, an organization dedicated to helping build Native American, farmer-owned, and community-based projects. This year we are supporting the Capricorn Ridge Wind Project located in central Texas.
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center Green Initiatives
The Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center continues to take steps towards a green environment for our planet. They actively participates in ways to reduce electrical usage, food waste, promote recycling and support the overall ecosystem:
- Combined Heat and Power (CHP) system produces approximately 90% of the electricity used on-site, reducing the need for additional power plants.
- The convention center started a rooftop honeybee program in 2017 to support bee health and harvest honey for its culinary offerings.
- More than 350,000 honeybees are working at the rooftop
- Note pads and pens made from recycled materials
- Biodegradable, plant-based disposables
- Paperless billing
- Eco-friendly water service
- Meeting room recycling
What You Can Do
While registering for the annual meeting you can choose to not receive a printed program and use the mobile app to navigate the conference instead.
During the annual meeting:
- Recycle cans and paper at recycling stations throughout the convention center.
- Bring your favorite reusable water or coffee cup.
- Use your NACUBO tote and the annual meeting app during your stay in Washington.
- Reuse towels and sheets to reduce consumption of energy, water, and soap at your hotel.
- Choose eco-friendly food and beverage options that are locally produced.
What We Do
- All conference signage is produced on 100% recyclable material.
- In order to decrease the number of printed programs, we offer a mobile app to help attendees navigate the conference.
- We have chosen conference bags that are more sustainable and produced in the United States.
Environmentally Friendly Transportation
Explore Washington, DC with the various transportation options listed below while also being environmentally friendly.
SuperShuttle is one of the leading airport shuttle services in the U.S., serving over eight million passengers a year.
Rent a Bike
Capital Bikeshare has over 500 stations in the DC metro area, including National Harbor. Pricing starts at $2 for a 30 minute ride.
Green Initiatives at Airport
Metro Washington’s airports, Reagan National and Dulles International, have numerous sustainable and green programs, from recycling to alternative energy to air quality initiatives.