NACUBO 5th Annual "Serving the Community"
The 2011 NACUBO Serving the Community Service Project is scheduled to be held at A.J. Ferrell Middle School in Tampa, FL. We will be helping prepare the school for its debut next fall as the first public girls’ academy in the county. Ferrell will be a 21st century learning environment utilizing iPads, interactive white boards, laptops, etc. Each academy student will receive an iPad for school use to supplement his/her learning. The school resides in a disadvantaged area of the county and currently seventy percent of enrolled students are African American; twelve percent Hispanic. Student demographics are not expected to change significantly under the academy model.
Projects under consideration include:
- Revitalization of a teacher’s lounge and resource center to include painting the walls; assembling and installing new furnishings, adding attractive lighting, upgrading a small kitchen and equipping a teacher resource area.
- Refurbishing an outdoor courtyard area with additional seating, mulch and plantings.
- Touch-up painting in hallways and public areas.
- Painting and other improvements to the principal’s office and conference room to welcome a new principal.
- Painting the walls and assembling new tables in the cafeteria.
- Possibly working with a local contractor to produce an outdoor area for golf instruction (the school where the boy’s academy will be located has such a facility).
Developed in partnership with TIAA-CREF and HandsOn Tampa Bay
with additional support from
ARAMARK Higher Education
SunGard Higher Education
HD Supply Facilities Maintenance